Friday, June 12, 2015

Blog #3 : McKinney Pool Party


From last week to this week, social media is all spread out news about McKinney teen pool party. First, I didn’t see the news until Dr. Hernandez showed the original video in the class. And then, I was surprised how fast this news spreads through social media after I started to check Facebook and twitter. Ever this news appeals in my Weibo (one of a Chinese social media like Facebook). It seems like everyone are talk about it. Some media says if the person that has a gun pointed to a white do you think this would have any media coverage? Maybe it will just be local news about a pool party get out of control and that’s it. This is how media create a division between blacks and whites. This black plus media news will force everything in to conflict. And I was watching some of interviewers about this news; it seems like black think this is not a race problem. In the opposite way, a white female said there is no problem with that police and he may protect himself if someone behind him trying to attack. As a foreigner, I just feel this white female is just trying to stay with white side no matter what the truth is. Honestly, not too much people know the detail about this violence. But the media has already formed our opinions after they showed the video to us.

I always think social media is a great way to spread the new and easy to read news while your family members or friends are sharing it on social media. But, those kind of racist violence video has spreading through the media has been for a while. I guess media didn’t think this would be a big conflict between black and white. And now the situation is seems like out of control. I hope the media can spread out some positive news in some negative news.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this is a good example of the power of social media. What I ind interesting is that social media can cause events like this to go viral quickly. It also made it easy for me to see different perspectives on what actually happened. It makes it more difficult for the media to push a specific agenda that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unfortunate that so many things go back to race. People are very quick to point fingers and it's really sad. It is pretty crazy how certain things like this go viral.

    ReplyDelete