Friday, June 26, 2015

Blog #7

I am so in love with this documentary, I love watching documentaries and although I have seen it at glance when i peruse through the selection of Documentaries in Netflix, I'm really surprised I never clicked on this one.  I felt I always knew about the issue of females misrepresented in our culture and being idolized only as a sex symbol, among all the other issues mentioned. but this documentary really brought things into perspective.  I have had this conversation with friends many times, I usually try to stand up and say something when males makes sexist comments, like "she was so funny, she could be a guy," as if females are not capable of being funny, or negative comments about why America is not ready for a female president, if not now, how long do we have to wait? when is the right time?!  I was really disappointed to think about the reality of us females not sticking together and bringing each other up, i feel like we don't empower each other as much as we should, instead of bullying each other online or while looking through a magazine.  Many young girls are looking for role models, as they are trying to find an identity for themselves, and as mentioned, there are just not enough decent females in the media.  When I say "decent", I am referring to the mentioned issue that most of the times when females are on media, they are having to show too much skin, wear skin-tight clothing or look like they have an eating disorder.  If overweight is an issue, than maybe we need to have females showing healthy bodies, bodies that exercise, females that are living an active lifestyle to achieve a healthy look, not people that are having to starve in order to "feel good."  Little girls in elementary school are being bullied by the way they look or how much they weight to the point where they are committing suicide,   Not to discredit all the work that so many great woman have done for our future, I see all the progress, there is just so much more work still to be done.


2 comments:

  1. I agree and have often found that it is women as well who help continue the cycle of misrepresentation of women in society, my mother is an example whose conservative beliefs limit the potential of what women can do, as with all things I believe change will take time to take into effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that more need to be done on the issue of women being mistreated, from now on when someone from the media points out the negative things of a women we should use social media to comment something positive about the the women that is being harassed.

    ReplyDelete