Friday, June 26, 2015

Blog #8

I was ecstatic to hear the news about the supreme court signing the bill for equal marriage rights. This morning at work, I actually overheard a conversation about the bill signing, and then I was eventually informed by multiple coworkers. There was just something so warming about hearing this news by word of mouth, before seeing it online or on social media, because it actually implemented good conversation with people. This current event is obviously a very big deal, especially since equal marriage rights have been on the fence for such a long time. I wanted to read more articles about the event, and after checking my email, this is the very first article I see:

I was a little confused at first. Why was a celebrities social media account the VERY FIRST article instead of the historic event of the signing of equal marriage rights? This carousel was from Yahoo, in which they pick the top 60 stories, and people can scroll through them using the displayed left and right arrows. I did not find an article concerning the equal marriage rights until I scrolled to 46/60. Was the lack of coverage on the event a reflection of the personal views of the people running the Yahoo page? Are the articles ordered by "trending" and "most popular"? I just felt that such a historic event deserves more news coverage, rather than celebrity matters. 

1 comment:

  1. It is always crazy to me to see what the media decides is an important issue to cover.

    ReplyDelete