Thursday, June 25, 2015

Blog Post 8

Did anyone hear about the giant hole draining a lake in Texas?! I find it the weirdest thing. I don't even know what to think about it. This is at Lake Texacoma, and people are saying it looks like a whirlpool or vortex. I don't think vortex is the right word for this, because I feel that by using such a word or making references to "something straight out of the Twilight Zone" they are probably scaring people into maybe thinking it is more than what it is. I tried to look up theories on why people think there is a hole draining this lake, and there isn't many concrete answers. A lot of people think it's because of the "Coriolis effect" where the Earth's rotation causes the winds to bend, but that usually only happens in storms. I don't understand why we don't do more research into this and maybe see if it is a hole. I feel like the media is making this a big deal, which if it is, then we should understand why this is a big deal. There haven't been any concrete facts on this so hopefully there will be some more news about this. Or maybe it isn't even a big deal and the media just likes to over exaggerate?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/giant-hole-draining-lake-bathtub-184500162.html

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting. I am surprised that I had not heard of this until now honestly. I am going to have to look into this further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel more and more we will have an increased focus on ecological research as the impacts of a lot of our negligence continues to show with fracking, or with pollution in general. I hope there is more money put into research for these things, I would hate for a giant hole to just open up in the middle of the highway!

    ReplyDelete