Friday, June 19, 2015

Blog #5

This week, I’m sure everybody heard of the news about Mrs Rachel Dolezal.  I do not understand where supporters/media outlets are making her case seem like people are not allowing her to be her own person, like she’s not been able to express herself freely.  I do not believe the outrage is coming from her trying to identify as whatever she pleases, I think people are upset that she is being supported through her lies.  I do not understand why she lied about her dad being black and presented her adopted black brother as her own child.  I can understand her admiration and respect for “black” culture, her passion for speaking towards equality, and whatever else she stood for, as president of NAACP leader, not to undermine her achievements, but many people, and I agree, believe that “Dolezal advanced as an activist  by misrepresenting herself and by claiming personal injustices that weren’t legitimate” (CNN).  I do not think there is anything wrong with her tanning her skin or putting on wigs or curling her hair, everybody is entitled to tan or color their hair, or change the color of natural-colored eyes, but I think her case has become big on the news because of her blatant dishonesty, not her choice towards her individuality, as some are trying to make it seem.




Greg Botelo, Racel Dolezal’s broter: She’s making up more and more lies.  CNN June 18, 2015

2 comments:

  1. When I first wrote by blog early in the week I did not know of her dishonesty towards her professional life. She must now face the consequences for being dishonest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I don't think that her wanting to identify as black is the big deal, I think the problem is how she went about deceiving people.

    ReplyDelete