Friday, June 26, 2015

Blog #7: #LoveWins


Today's ruling has had me in tears since waking after my husband brought his phone to me to show me the tweet announcement. I've been glued to CNN and MSNBC since, scanning the social media feeds, listening to President Obama, and watching the videos from across the country (and even the world) as I sit in my own small part of it yet feeling a connection with the greater human race.

I'll have been alive 43 years this coming July, and I would have never thought that within my lifetime I would have seen this day come. You may recall reading from a previous post Death or Exodus, that in my past friends asked me if I could take a pill to make me straight would I take it. "YES" I responded immediately, because I could not imagine a lifetime living with so much hate and discrimination all around me. I would have rather denied who I knew I was than to face that hate. To paraphrase a tiny portion of the President's speech this morning, "...THAT SLOW, STEADY EFFORT IS REWARDED WITH JUSTICE THAT ARRIVES LIKE A THUNDERBOLT."



In respect to living a life of balance and pride, all of humanity in this country who have shared in my common struggle, would understand the feelings and incredible boost to my own self-esteem. The internal shame that festers within has taken a devastating attack and continues to crumble as my own journey continues.

I have lived with the man I love for fifteen and a half years now, and with disregard to government restrictions on my liberty and equality, he is my husband in every respect and I have never thought of him less. Tonight, I will join others in my community for a rally in celebration and observance of this momentous day. While it is a personal show of my joy and equality, it is more so an external observance for the gratitude of those who fought for this and their fortitude, devotion, determination, strength, courage and steadfastness to make this possible for all of us and be the voice I could not be.



Hate will still be a part of our lives, and we will always be faced with this fact just as many other minority groups live with in regards to race, gender, and sexual orientation issues. Every human has the right to their beliefs, values, and the way they choose to live, but restricting the rights of other with violence and hate crimes is NOT the right of any human. My continued hope is that humanity will look past the "race" label and finally see what I believe the truth is, that this is a "HUMAN RACE" issue. We share one precious world with a myriad of beautiful cultures, countries, and people around us in our individual communities. I hope for the release of the hate that plagues the world, it is a human race sickness that is sure to destroy the future for all.
#marriageequality #SCOTUS #LoveWins

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post :) Your personal thoughts and life experiences regarding this topic was very heartwarming to read. I just read some negative comments from other articles I've seen online, and it was just so nice to read a post about a person who is so happy and educated on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought that this would have happened either. I didn't even realize that it was on the table actually. I am glad that it did happen though because it will make many people very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations of 15 years of bliss with your husband.

    ReplyDelete