Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Dragon's Scale (Blog Post 6)

            Once upon a time, long, long ago, there lived a boy named Blist. Blist grew up working hard in the fields for his mother, as his father had left home long ago during his childhood for reasons his mother would not say for her grief consumed her. Blist had a brother, named Eren, who would always make a delicious and tasty dinner from the ingredients Blist harvested. Every night the family would gather around for supper to which their mother would then praise Eren of his hard work and excellent dishes. Blist began to grow envious of her praise, and he refused to eat Eren’s meals and began to feel more fatigued in the fields as a result.
Every night, when working the fields, Blist would look upon the evening sky to see a faraway dragon flashing its mystic and grand wings into the setting sun. He always wondered what such a creature could hide in that far away land, but his mind remained too focused on impressing his mother.
One evening after supper, the family sat upon a hillside gazing into the sun when the dragon appeared once more. “To only have one of his perfect scales, I’d feel grief no more,” the mother stated.
That night, Blist grabbed one of his father’s old, near rusted swords and set out to find the dragon. Before he could slip out, Eren awoke and stopped him.
“Brother, I need not state where you are headed, for that much is clear to me. What surprises me is how little food you take for your journey. Please, let me prepare you something that will stay with you for your journey even if it runs until the end of time.”
Blist scoffed at him, “I need not receive your help, for this is something I must prove on my own.” He then turned quickly and left his home behind.
His journey proved long and dangerous, as his food began to run low and his thin figure, a result of his stubbornness toward his brother, made the cold ever bitterer. He finally arrived upon the cave, stumbling as he entered the dragon’s lair. He slowly stepped in and listened for the angry breaths and groans of its inhabitant, but no dragon could be found. Blist sighed and leaned against the cool, hard rocks.
            “Had only I not been so foolish as to reject Eren’s offering, I’d have the energy to slay this beast and strength to take its treasure to mother. Alas, I’ll fade here alone in this cave.” He then passed out.
            Blist awoke to the shake of rough, cold hands. “My son, why have you been so foolish?” It was his own father, wrapped in nothing but an old, ragged cloth. His hair shone golden, his appearance having not changed a day from when Blist remembered him last before his departure.
            “Father? What brings you here now? Alive and in such a place?” Blist asked, weak and cold.
            “I’m the dragon who flies high in the sky every time the sun sets, watching over my home and family. Cursed to only gaze upon them from afar - for the night sky brings upon me scales and fire… I found my sword upon your back? Had you come to slay me?”
            Blist blinked slowly and sat up, aware now of the reality. He wept. “I did. To gather a single scale. Yet I rejected my brother’s help out of fury, and now I’ll starve and rot as they remain with no help on the farm. I’ve failed, my father.”
            His father wiped the tears streaming down his face, and reached behind him. “My son, here. A perfect scale off my cursed back for your mother to have. Send her my love. Next, some of the finest meat from lands far away I’ve hunted and cooked to stay strong myself, it will get you home. Remember that to cook great things we need first the finest ingredients. Now go on your way.”

            With a kiss, Blist began his journey home where his mother and brother welcomed him with open arms. The scale hung high above the mantle of their home, and Blist smiled every time he passed it. Every evening he’d watch his father soar high into the sky from that day on, and their harvests never failed. They all lived happily, ever after.

8 comments:

  1. Either you are a famous writer or you will become one! I am now afraid that my story will pale in comparison to yours! I love everything about this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Kaitlyn! You are a great writer. I can see that you went for the 6th person. I can see the sibling rivalry and the ambivalence concept taking place. I guess we don't have to go for all the characteristics listed under each person, is that right? Great job though, like the image with the orange tint on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story! I enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a considerable amount value to gain from this story, not only from the perspective of a mother but also from a father's and their offspring. To understand the hardships all face in a family unit is a challenge for all to see! You have illustrated these struggles beautifully with your words. Bravo! I will share this with my sons. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it very clear which person you were going for without having to tag it! You did a wonderful job with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really well written, Garret! I didn't think the dragon would be his father. I thought it was really interesting how the one thing that would make her happy was a dragon scale, when in fact the dragon was her husband. Did she somehow know it was him?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a really good job with this. I enjoyed reading it and am impressed with your writing

    ReplyDelete