Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Blog 5 - Is 18 old enough?

Teen smoking.

We know it happens.  There are multiple ad campaigns trying to lower the smoking rate of teens.  What would happen if the legal age to buy cigarettes was 21 instead of 18?

In Needham, Massachusetts researchers did a study over what would happen to the teen smoking rate if the smoking age was raised to 21.  Over the time period (2006-2012) teen smoking went from 12.9% down to 5.5%.   In the report, it says that “more than 80 percent” of smokers start before their 18
Here’s my question: If the problem is that people are buying before 18, how would raising the age to 21 stop them from getting cigarettes illegally?

I can see the problem, but I’m not sure that raising the required age is the solution.  The study shows that the teen smoking rate was decreased, but could it have been attributed to another factor?  The trends the last couple of years have been against smoking.  Maybe the anti-smoking trend had an impact on the decrease in the amount of underage teens smoking.  Another factor could have been the crack down on underage buying.  The city was specifically targeted for the study and could have acted differently towards underage buyers while it was being conducted. 

On the other hand, if a teen wanted to buy them illegally, it would be harder if the required age was 21.  Teens, in general, know more people who are 18 (that probably go to school with them) that could buy them cigarettes, than they do 21 year olds. 

Do you think that raising the smoking age to 21 would solve the underage smoking problem? Or should the problem be addressed in another manner?





8 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I agree with you, changing the age from 18 to 21 might not make a difference, however the study shows it did. I would try to understand the factors that were involved in the study a bit more to give a better opinion. As a parent, it is our duty to ensure we guide our kids by example. If I smoke, I would be waisting my time asking my kids not to smoke. Nevertheless, if I don't smoke, then I have the power by example and as a parent to demand as the householder my rules under my roof.
    Obviously we would need to apply the rules with love and wisdom. I think this is the best choice out there right now. Parenting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The problem was they didn't state the factors in the specific article (I wish they did).

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that raising the age may not make a significant difference; even though the legal drinking at in the U.S. is 21, most people have had alcohol well before that time. Though many have a reason for underage drinking, one is the taboo of it, and I think the same can be said for smoking. Part of the motivation tends to be for social status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Raising the age will do no good, because if the underage teens want to get their hands on it they will find a way. Yes if the age is raised to 21 it might be harder for teens to obtain, but look at alcohol. There are plenty of underage teens getting their hands on that still even though the legal age is 21.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of me wonders if this issue will exist 10 years from now. I feel like smoking is somewhat of a dying fad and I see more use of the electronic cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. I'm curious what the impact of electronic cigarettes will be in the future.

      Delete
  5. This is really interesting to me. I started smoking when I was very young and have not smoked in over 10 years now. I was also in the middle east before I was 21. It seems odd to me that you can do that, but not buy beer or maybe cigarettes because they are too dangerous for someone that age. The truth is that they are dangerous for anyone, age is irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed. Honestly, I don't think it will help. I knew plenty of kids in high school that at the age of 16 were getting their hands on cigarettes and alcohol, no problem.

    ReplyDelete