Friday, June 19, 2015

Blog Post 5

Everyone knows who Miley Cryus is and how she completely changed from the preteen we saw on Hannah Montana to the twerk master we see on the MTV. So, I wasn’t entirely surprised when I came across this article on yahoo. I actually ended up going straight to the link of Paper magazine where it had Miley’s whole interview. Miley spoke about her openness with sexuality and that she has an attraction to both males and females. What is even more interesting is that she told her mother about this when she was a young teen. For those of you who don’t realize, Miley’s family is very Christian, and Miley did used to wear a purity ring.  Miley basically explained that her mother had a difficult time coming to terms with Miley’s openness and was even worried she would go to hell for being even interested in women. I found Miley’s mom to have a superego personality. She pushes certain values or morals on Miley. Miley, on the other hand, has an ID personality. She is completely impulsive and just responds to how she naturally feels, which explains her actions in the media these days. Miley’s mom was trying to control her impulses of being interested in women, something that where she comes from is considered forbidden. It was interesting to see that dynamic by just Miley’s interview in the magazine. I feel like that dynamic is very common and can be seen with a lot of mother and child relationships like yours, mine, and even other famous people like Caitlyn Jenner and her mom.

http://www.papermag.com/2015/06/miley_cyrus_happy_hippie_foundation.php

2 comments:

  1. I'm really surprised that you mentioned that Miley used to wear a purity ring, I admire that she's able to be true to herself, although i'm not a really big fan of hers. I believe that as a person that is so publicly known and followed by so many teens, and viewed as a role model, she should feel a certain sense of responsibility in the way in which she portrays herself. I love that she can show that it is OK to be yourself, I just hate that she does it in such a trashy way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this too. I also remember when she came out with all the stuff about the purity ring and stuff... If you ask me, I kind of think her parents were trying to promote her as a good example for kids with all of that... It is interesting that so much of the media lately has been focused on sexuality and gender.

    ReplyDelete