Friday, June 26, 2015

Blog #7

As a young female adult, I am aware and often face the issues stated in the documentary. Gender equality has always been an issue I was very aware of, but while I was watching the documentary, what really alarmed me the most were the statistics.  To actually be given a number and to be able to visualize the data was very alarming and disheartening to me; it’s like you understand what is going on, but you are not completely understanding of how deep the issue really is. For example, when I saw the text pop up on the screen stating that more than 50% of women have an eating disorder, I was shocked. Was I aware of eating disorders? Yes, of course. Did I know the extent of eating disorders affecting women? I had no idea it was that high.

Although the statistics were very alarming to me, the main focus that I really picked up and engaged on, was the talk on raising new generations and the fear of having them susceptible to negative media and advertising. I think Cultivation Theory—where effects happen over a period of time—is the media’s most powerful tool and theory, especially when dealing with younger generations who can be easily influenced by the media.  I also found it very powerful in the documentary where it was said that teenage girls idolize people because they have not yet found and are in the process of obtaining their own identity, yet there are not enough woman in power to help demonstrate the possibilities of their identity. I think if women were taken more seriously in the media, and not just seen as sexual objects and caregivers, it would not only empower women, but also inspire younger girls to strive to become something more in life.



2 comments:

  1. I agree, a lot of the information provided in the documentary was very shocking, though as another student brought up, I would love to follow-up and see the validity of the studies conducted, how many people were used for the data, and whether or not the evidence is conjecture or is statistically valid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I love about a diverse class is to share the points of view from so many minds. The statistics given were shocking to me as well. I do agree with Sushen, we must always evaluate the credibility of studies and not just take them on faith alone. But I'm betting these numbers are not far from the truth. I have 8 sisters, and it pains me to imagine what each of their lives must have been like and what it must be like as adults for them now.

    ReplyDelete