Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Blog 8- Buyable Pins


How many times on Pinterest do you wish you could easily click and buy the thing you just pinned?
Good news, Pinterest addicts, it’s about to become possible. Pinterest is currently working on a buy button! What this button would effectively do is allow Pinners to purchase an item within a few clicks without disturbing their social media session.   The goal is to have a separate section clearly marked for buyable pins.  They will also use different types of e-commerce platforms so larger department stores and small shops can both sell on the site.

This “button” could be the next break-through on social networking sites.  It could potentially turn Pinterest into a retail site.  They have been lacking in the social media game behind Facebook and Twitter, but are slowly catching up.  The potential revenue they could make has motivated them to take their time and get the best possible “button” out to the users. 

One issue at hand is possible annoyance with the buy button.  Will the button “repel” users, just like ads do, or will it open new doors for Pinterest?  

1M9A2359_LR
Design mockups of Buyable Pins. Photo by: Christie Hemm Klok/WIRED 


4 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the app, Keep? It's very similar to Pinterest except you can buy items directly on the app. I had to delete it from my phone but it was just too addicting and I do like Pinterest a lot better. I'm excited to see the buy button on Pinterest in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of it but never downloaded it. It's just really exciting to see Pinterest grow.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, First retail then personal services....hmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this option! I personally do not use pintrest, but I have seen some very cute things on there that I would purchase. I would like it if they added a button like this somewhere on tumblr!

    ReplyDelete